Superintendent Renee Scott will be on hand to attend her first official USD 409 Board of Education meeting when district leaders gather at 7 p.m. Monday, July 8 in the community room at the board office.
An election of board president and vice president to serve until board meeting January 2020 will be one of the first orders of business. Passage of SB 130 this past April brought with it a legislative requirement that for school boards to organize at their first meeting after the second Monday in January of each year, if the board determines to do so. During the June meeting board members agreed to elect officers in July for the short term to expire in January after the board members elected as a result of the local government elections in November start their respective terms to office.
Board members also expect to address other organizational business for the 2019-20 schoolyear.
Board members also expect to:
* Hear an update from Lucas Hunziger, Highland Community College Technical Center, about activities and HCC campus.
*Approve a School Support Personnel Job Description.
* Appoint representatives to serve on various committees.
*Take action as presented on the second reading of Board policies KA through KGC. The policies cover various matters from goals and objectives, public information programs, district or school websites, media relations, parent rights – custodial and noncustodial; school volunteers; use of school facilities by community groups, use of personal district property and equipment, concealed operations and bullying by parents.
* Hear an update about school finances and budget from Business Manager Lori Lanter.
* Recess from public meeting to convene behind closed doors to discuss matters of non-elected personnel. Following all privileged discussions, board members expect to resume their public meeting and take action on resignations, recommendations for employment, transfers and supplemental contracts.
* Approve the classified and administrator wages for 2019-20.
*Adjourn for the night.