Locally Atchison Main Street, the Atchison Area Chamber of Commerce, and the City of Atchison are hosting a celebration for the opening of Commercial Street on Friday, July 30.

The event will start with a ribbon cutting at 6:00 PM, followed by live music from Cynthia Rausch, yard games, drinks, and appetizers from participating local restaurants.

A ticket includes entry to the event, appetizers, two free 21+ drinks, followed by access to the cash bar. There is a charge for the event and the public can purchase general admission to the event.

The Block Party Celebration culminates from completion the removal of the 500 and 600 block of the Commercial Street Mall made possible through grant funding administered through Kansas Department of Transportation. The project checked in at about $1.4 million with KDOT providing 75 percent of the funding, and the City of Atchison being responsible to pay the remaining 25 percent of the costs.

Kansas Heavy Equipment served as the contractor with January targeted to begin the demolition. An early phase of the project commenced in late February with the tree, bush and decorative removal. Removal of the canopies started in early March. Removal of sidewalks, curbing, street lights and asphalt streets followed. The finishing touches are ongoing. The projected completion date was initially mid-June, but the opening has been delayed about a month due to rainy weather.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.